Year 2 Long Term Plan 2019-20CTA
Below is a summary of what we will be covering in English this year. For more details on this, and to look at the other work we do in Year 2, please look at our half termly newsletters which will begin in Autumn 1.
In Year 2 we will be looking at using different sentence types, consolidating our use of punctuation and using a range of conjunctions in our writing. We will also improve our spelling skills and ensure we are applying the spellings which we know.
In reading we will read a range of genres and complete whole class guided reading activities alongside 1-1 reading with an adult. We will focus on reading fluently, using expression and ensuring children have a range of strategies to decode any unknown words. Additionally, we will look at a variety of questions types to strengthen reading comprehension skills.
Wherever possible, we aim to link reading and writing opportunities to our topic work.
Maths objectives for Year 2:
In our maths lessons, we will be covering many different areas such as:
- Interpreting and reading scales
- Measuring (capacity, length and mass)
- Column method for addition with carrying and subtraction with borrowing.
- Place value.
- 2D and 3D shape – identifying shapes and describing their properties (vertices, edges, faces)
- Data handling (pictograms, bar charts, venn and carroll diagrams)
- Money – writing and reading amounts, conversion of pence to pounds, calculating change
- Lines of symmetry
- Position and direction (left, right, forwards, backwards)
- Solving two step problems
- Rounding to the nearest ten and nearest hundred
- Telling the time
Please find below some activities and games which link to our learning in class:
Save the whale – number bonds to 10
Number bonds to 20
Pay for it – using coins to make amounts of money
Robin Hood doubles
Mission 21 – column method
Phonics and spelling games:
DJ Cow spelling patterns wordsearch:
More information about spellings will follow shortly
This week, we will be looking at the 2 times table
More information about homework will follow shortly