Year 2 – White Rhinos and Buffalos
Year 2 Long Term Plan 2022-2023CTA
Click the link below for important information about what we will be learning in Year 2 this half term.
Y2 Curriculum Overview Summer 1
The teachers in Year 2 are Mrs Wimpenny (2 White Rhinos), Mrs Sanders and Mrs Basar (2 Buffalos).
The Educational Teaching Assistants working in our classes are Miss Lord and Miss Gallagher. The SEND Teaching Assistants are Miss Wakenge and Mrs Wilson.
Below is a summary of what we will be covering in English this year. For more details on this, and to look at the other work we do in Year 2, please look at our half termly newsletters.
In Year 2 we will be looking at using different sentence types, consolidating our use of punctuation and using a range of conjunctions in our writing. We will also improve our spelling skills and ensure we are applying the spellings which we know.
In reading we will read a range of genres and complete whole class guided reading activities alongside 1-1 reading with an adult. We will focus on reading fluently, using expression and ensuring children have a range of strategies to decode any unknown words. Additionally, we will look at a variety of questions types to strengthen reading comprehension skills.
Wherever possible, we aim to link reading and writing opportunities to our topic work.
Maths objectives for Year 2:
In our maths lessons, we will be covering many different areas such as:
- 2,5 and 10 times table multiplication and division facts
- Adding and subtracting 2-digit numbers
- Finding 1/3, 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 of shapes and amounts
- Interpreting and reading scales
- Measuring (capacity, length and mass)
- Column method for addition with carrying and subtraction with borrowing.
- Place value.
- 2D and 3D shape – identifying shapes and describing their properties (vertices, edges, faces)
- Data handling (pictograms, bar charts, tallies and tables)
- Money – writing and reading amounts, making amounts in different ways calculating change
- Lines of symmetry
- Position and direction (left, right, forwards, backwards)
- Solving two step problems
- Rounding to the nearest ten and nearest hundred
- Telling the time
Please find below some activities and games which link to our learning in class:
TT Rockstars – Your child will need their username and password to log in and practise their times tables
White Rose Maths – Some free access resources available
NRich – reasoning and problem solving activities
Reading and Spelling:
Oxford Owl: Click ‘My Class Login’ and use the class login details below to access e-books:
Teach Your Monster to Read – free to sign up online on a web browser but there is a cost for the app
Purplemash: A variety of learning activities which may at times be set by the class teacher. Your child will need their username and password to log in
|See your child’s homework book for this week’s spelling rule.|
Counting in 3s and 3 times table multiplication and division facts
Spelling, reading and arithmetic homework should be completed each week. Choose an extra activity from another curriculum area to complete each week in addition. Reading books should be returned every Thursday and homework books every Monday.